Waxing unwanted hair from the face and body uses warm wax, cloth strips, or pre-waxed strips to remove both coarse and fine hair for a smooth finish.
Waxing is far less expensive than many other methods of hair removal, especially if done at home. However, whether it is facial or body waxing, there are steps that must be taken after waxing to avoid reactions.
Face waxing is probably the most important because any reaction will be visible. Knowing what to do after waxing will provide you with the desired outcome.
What Should You Do After a Waxing Session?
1. Cleanse skin once more with Witch Hazel. Witch Hazel has antiseptic and soothing properties.
2. After waxing, wrap some ice cubes in a towel and place them on the affected area. This will alleviate the redness and discomfort.
3. Use a hydrating product, such as baby oil, to help remove residual wax while also moisturizing the skin.
What Should You Avoid Doing After Waxing?
Knowing what to do after waxing isn’t enough; keep these do’s in mind as well.
1. Gently exfoliate the skin the next day if it is not red and inflamed to prevent pimples and ingrown hairs from forming. DO NOT EXFOLIATE FOR 24 HOURS AFTER WAVING.
2. Keep your hands away from the waxed area to avoid bacteria-driven pimples.
3. To avoid infections, avoid public water areas such as hot tubs, saunas, pools, and spas while the skin is healing.
4. For a few days, instead of bathing, take showers.
5. You don’t get enough exercise to sweat profusely.
6. Avoid wearing clothing that is too tight if the bikini area has been waxed.
7. Avoid squeezing pimples! This will result in more pimples. Instead, use a pimple treatment.
8. Avoid waxing just before menstruation, when the skin is more vascular.
9 Avoid consuming stimulants such as alcohol or caffeinated beverages a few hours before waxing because they will make the skin more sensitive.
Watch this video for guidelines to waxing coarse hair:
Pay Attention to Allergy Risks and Handle Skin Reactions
Knowing what to do after waxing and what to avoid afterward is beneficial. However, some ingredients may cause allergic reactions in some people.
Learn to recognize the symptoms of an allergic reaction, such as redness, hives, irritation, blisters, or itching. Although the majority of reactions are mild, some people may experience a more severe reaction, such as anaphylactic shock.
For better management, understand how to deal with them.
Redness is the most common reaction, especially for face waxing. Nothing is more embarrassing than going out after having your upper lip waxed and flaunting a red, inflamed moustache to the world!
What to do: To treat this reaction, apply ice to the affected area for about 10 minutes to close pores and reduce redness and swelling.
2. Pimples & Bump
Pimples and bumps are the second most common reaction to waxing, particularly on the face. These, too, can be embarrassing, especially if one waxes before a special event and ends up with a pimple-filled moustache. Bacteria are usually to blame for pimples.
What to do: Cleanse the area to be waxed, and scrub the hands, fingers, and fingernails. After waxing, keep your hands away from the waxed area and gently cleanse the area. Exfoliation can help prevent ingrown hairs, which is another cause of bumps.
3. Allergic Reaction or Hives
Hives are the third most common reaction. These are caused by an allergic reaction to one or more of the wax’s ingredients. This is due to the possibility of an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients.
It is critical for those with sensitive skin to read the ingredients for artificial colors, fragrance, and flower essences such as lavender.
Hives are itchy bumps that usually go away within a few hours. Taking a Benadryl pill, on the other hand, may help to quickly calm the hives.
4. It is not recommended that one waxes their own bikini area; the awkwardness of the position makes it impossible to achieve the proper technique. That is something that should be left to the professionals who do waxing. Check to see if the waxing salon uses sanitary methods, and inquire about the wax’s ingredients.
What to Do Before Waxing: Tips for Successful Waxing
1. Moisturize the days before and after waxing.
2. Carefully adhere to the wax instructions. Check the temperature of the wax against your wrist and make sure it has the consistency of honey. Warm the wax strips between your hands if you’re using them. When you begin waxing, make sure you are in a comfortable position.
3. Always wax in the direction in which the hair grows naturally. This ensures that the wax forms a strong bond with the hair.
After applying the wax, press the cloth firmly against the skin for a few seconds before pulling the strip off parallel to the skin, not up. Hold your skin taut with the other hand to avoid excessive skin pulling. The ideal length for waxing hair is 14 to 34 off an inch, so if it’s longer than that, you may need to trim it.
Check Out Our Recommended Fast and Easy Hair Removal Solution
Tired of spending money on new razors every month? Afraid of those harsh chemical alternatives?
Well there’s a new, easier way alternative that can give you the smooth look you want, without breaking the bank or worrying about irritation!
Revitol Hair Removal Cream is an advanced blend of natural vitamins, minerals, and extracts that help you get rid of any unwanted hair you might have. Simply apply the gentle, yet powerful, cream to the affected area and experience silky smooth results!
- Easily erases unwanted hair instantly and painlessly!
- Remove hair from eyebrows, upper lips, legs, and more!
- Safe to use on any part of your body!
- No razor burns, no shaving, no painful waxing, and no red bumps!
- Fast, Effective, and Pain-Free way to Get Rid of Any Unwanted Hair!
A version of this article originally appeared on enkiverywell.com