Baking soda is one of those pantry staples that everyone has. It can be used to clean stuck-on stains by making a paste, it can be used as a shampoo for the hair, and it can be used in a variety of science experiments.
Baking soda, on the other hand, can be used as a natural skin exfoliant that is much less expensive than store-bought products. With a baking soda exfoliant, you can remove oils, makeup, and dead skin cells just as easily and for less money.
Exfoliating with Baking Soda
1. Why Does Baking Soda Work as an Exfoliator?
Baking soda is alkaline, which means it helps soften sebum and debris on the face for easier removal. This is why exfoliating with baking soda is often thought to be a simpler way to remove all of the skin’s problems.
Furthermore, the granules are excellent for buffing away dead skin cells. And, because baking soda has such strong antiseptic properties, it can actually aid in the management of any bacteria on the face that may be causing problems.
What you will need
You’ll need 1 tablespoon of baking soda, a few drops of water, and some Vitamin E oil if you want to use a baking soda exfoliant.
1. Cleanse your face with warm water and a gentle soap.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the baking soda, water, and oil drops to make a paste.
3. Once the paste has reached a consistency that is neither too thick nor too runny, apply it to your face in circular motions.
4. Continue rubbing the paste on your face in circular motions, avoiding the eye area but getting everywhere else.
5. Rub this mixture into your face for about 2 to 3 minutes to ensure that all of the issues on your skin are addressed.
What to Do After That
After using the baking soda exfoliant, rinse your skin with warm water to remove any remaining baking soda. After you’ve removed all of this, splash your face with cool water to ensure that the pores close. After that, pat your face dry with a clean towel.
You can finish with your favorite moisturizer to provide your skin with all of the minerals and vitamins it requires to appear and be healthy.
How Often Should This Be Done?
Baking soda exfoliation can be done two to three times per week. To avoid irritation, those with sensitive skin should only do this every other week. If you feel any burning or see your skin reddening, use less baking soda the next time. It is best to do this at night so that if you do experience skin redness, it will go away while you sleep.
Baking Soda Exfoliator Alternatives
If you don’t have time to make your own baking soda exfoliant, simply mix it into your regular cleanser to reap the benefits of baking soda for skin.
Baking soda and coconut oil can be combined to cleanse the skin, treat acne, reduce scarring, and condition the skin. This is a baking soda and coconut mixture that depends on your skin type; however, most people are fine with a 1:1 ratio of each.
This product can be used as a cleanser or a deep cleansing mask. Depending on your skin type, it should be used no more than three times per week.
Note: Baking soda for skin can also be used all over the body to soften and smooth the skin. As a result, this can also be used while taking a shower or bath.
Two More Recommendations for Do-It-Yourself Exfoliators
In addition to the baking soda exfoliator, you can try the following recipes:
1. Oatmeal and honey
A honey and oatmeal face cleanser is an excellent way to prevent breakouts, moisturize the skin, reduce inflammation, and generally improve the skin’s health. The ingredients used to make this have been shown to benefit the skin in a variety of ways.
To begin, you’ll need 1/2 cup oatmeal, 2 tablespoons honey, 15 drops lavender essential oils, and 15 drops tea tree oil.
Follow these steps:
1. Stir the oatmeal a little to break up the flakes.
2. Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl, ensuring that the consistency is correct; you can add more honey if necessary to get this oatmeal to stick together.
3. The mixture can be kept in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
4. Apply this to your face as you would any other cleanser.
It is suitable for most skin types and can be used every day.
2. Lemon and sugar
This sugar and lemon facial cleanser is designed to remove impurities while also tightening pores and brightening the skin.
A half fresh lemon, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1 tablespoon organic honey are all required.
Follow these steps:
1. Combine the lemon juice and olive oil in a mixing bowl.
2. Stir in the honey until well combined.
3. Stir in the sugar and continue to mix until the mixture is the right consistency for a scrub.
4. Apply it to your face in a circular motion and leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Rinse with warm water to remove.
The mixture can be placed in a bowl and stored for up to a week.